Once you have understood the rules and the general concept of poker, the next thing you need to learn is poker strategies. Poker is a game that is constantly evolving, but the way you play it remains the same, both online and in person.
Many Pinoy players are constantly developing several strategies to improve their chances of winning. Whether you’re new to poker or already a pro, you have to keep up with these strategies if you want better chances of winning at poker in the Philippines. It might not be possible for you to learn all of them, but you can learn the top ones.
In this article, we have put together the 11 best poker strategies to win online in 2023. Keep reading to learn more about these strategies.
Top 11 Poker Strategies
Let’s take a closer look at the 11 best poker strategies to win online in the Philippines. These strategies will be explained in clear terms so you can have a better understanding.
Take Note of Your Starting Hand
Once the blinds are placed, and the dealer has drawn the preflop cards, the game begins. Your starting hands will determine your actions, which is why you need to take note of the cards you hold.
Once you have taken note of your starting hand, play your strong hands aggressively. Play hands like Kings, Queens-Aces, and Aces-Kings in the flop. Then, you can play pocket pairs and suited connectors in the turn and river.
For clarity, examples of premium pocket pairs include King-King or Ace-Ace. An example of connectors include the King and Queen of clubs. When you have these, there’s an increased chance of making a straight flush or flush.
Play Low-Stake Poker
As a beginner Filipino poker player, you should start by playing low-stake poker before you move to higher stakes. There are many reasons why you should play low-stake poker, and some of them include:
- Low-stake poker allows you to explore the world of poker without risking too much money. As a beginner, you get to understand the poker rules, positions, and poker hand rankings without putting too much on the line.
- Playing low-stake poker improves your skill as you play against weaker players. You will find out that you’ve greatly improved as you move up to higher stakes.
- Since you’re not betting a lot of money, you can play poker without worrying about your losses.
- Low-stake poker helps you to practice good bankroll management.
Know When to Fold
Knowing when to fold is a great skill that every Pinoy poker player must learn. What distinguishes a good poker player from a bad one is their ability to fold when necessary.
Folding sounds easy, but it’s harder to execute. It’s hard for players to accept defeat, but keep in mind that accepting defeat allows for more improvement and restrategizing. If the odds are not in your favor, just fold to avoid significant losses in the long run. If you notice that your hands are very weak, fold them!
Bet Tight But Aggressive
Betting in an aggressive manner helps you win more pots than when you bet passively. Betting tight and aggressively is even better.
You don’t want to make the mistake of playing too many hands. Don’t get impatient and open all hands. Play your strong hands aggressively to give you an edge right from the start of the game.
Master the Art of Bluffing
The truth is, you won’t always be dealt the best cards, not even being the luckiest player in the Philippines. Mastering the art of bluffing can help you win even with weak hands. You need to know when to bluff because it’s not something you should be doing all the time.
- Semi-Bluff Aggressively With Your Draw
Semi-bluff simply means betting raising with your draw, which may appear to lose in equity but may win on the later streets.
- Don’t Bluff “Fish”
It’s quite hard to bluff the fish because they always call. No matter how clever your bluff is, they’re always going to keep calling, which can be a disadvantage for you. The best thing to do is to bet aggressively during the preflop.
Don’t Call Three Bets Out of Position
You should avoid calling three bets preflop too often when you’re out of position. Out of position means you’re acting first on the flop, turn, and river during the post-flop.
So, avoid calling a re-raise preflop when you’re going to act first in the three preflop streets. This is a big disadvantage on your end because you’re giving your opponent vital information that they can use against you.
Overfold to River Raises
This strategy is good for cash game poker. Most Filipino players, especially at micro stakes poker, tend to bluff less on rivers because they don’t feel the need to invest in a pot where they feel they have little to no equity.
Because of this perception, players will bluff less on rivers when the pot has reached its peak. So, overfolding the river rises saves you money.
Play Your Mental Game Well
It gets to a point in the game where it becomes overwhelming and frustrating. You need to learn to control your emotions so you don’t give your opponents easy access to information. For example, if you show too much frustration, your opponents can guess the cards you hold.
Keep your poker face at all times, even when you’re frustrated and confused. Failure and losses are things you’ll definitely encounter on your way to becoming a professional from the Philippines. Take them as they are and move on.
Proper Bankroll Management
To be a successful poker player, you need to learn how to manage your bankroll. Good bankroll management helps you make better decisions. It also helps you to manage your losses.
Tips for managing your bankroll:
- Set a buy-in limit for each session.
- Set a time limit.
- Know when to quit.
- Don’t play games that are too expensive for your bankroll.
- Manage your expectations.
- Separate your gambling expenses from your personal funds.
Purchase a Software
There is software that gives you information on the opponents you are about to face so that you can decide on a strategy based on that information.
Examples of such software include Hold’em Manager and Poker Tracker, which have a Heads Up Display feature (HUD). This feature will give you a history of your session together.
There is also free poker software in the Philippines you can download on Google Play Store and App Store.
Prepare for Your Session
If you want to become better at poker, you need to be well in body and mind. Before you enter the game mode, you must mentally and physically prepare yourself. For example, if you are not well rested, your mind becomes hazy, and you can end up making bad decisions that will cost you a lot of money.
Make sure that you get enough sleep before the game. Maintain a healthy diet and stay hydrated always. You should also avoid drinking alcohol before and during the game.
You also practice meditation as often as you can to improve your mental health. Regular exercises will also keep your mind at its sharpest.
Expert Tips to Play Poker
We have collected some extra tips that, in alignment with the poker strategies above, can help you excel. We also have a complete guide on how to win in poker for your reference.
- Constant Practice – If you want to get better at poker, you must practice constantly. The good thing is that you can try out these strategies without risking your money when you play at the best online poker sites.
- Choose the Right Poker Game – Play poker games that you’re more likely to win at. Also, you shouldn’t play at a table with more experienced players because you’re less likely to beat them.
- Stay at One Table – If you’re a beginner, start by playing at a single table until you’ve gained enough experience to play multiple tables.
- Learn From the Seasoned Players – One of the best ways to learn how to play poker is by watching experienced players. You can learn from seasoned players in person or through social media like YouTube.
- Take Advantage of Bonuses – Online casinos provide welcome bonuses that are a huge plus to your bankroll. Take advantage of the offer to play more poker sessions.Credit: 22Bet
Join 22Bet to take casino bonuses and play poker online!
- Play at a Reliable Casino – The casino you play at matters a lot. Only join casinos that are duly licensed and registered. Check out the best online casinos to play online poker.
- Avoid Distraction – If you are playing online, the chat room can be a little distracting. Avoid the chat room and other distractions when you’re in a session.
- Have Fun – Poker is meant to be fun and enjoyable. Don’t forget to enjoy the moment and have fun!
Final Thoughts - Is Poker Skill or Luck?
Poker is mostly a game of skill in the long term. But there’s always an element of luck. We can also say that the game is a blend of skill and luck, with skill carrying a higher percentage, even with unlucky poker hands.
You have to be equipped with the right skills and poker strategies to have better chances of winning the game. Also, constant practice is another thing that will put you on the way to being a professional.